We have been having so much fun over here at Create Laugh Learn, that it’s hard to keep up with writing blogs for all the activities we’ve done! This one was a long anticipated one that I have been wanting to do since spring started. Little C had so much fun building birds nest, and it was a great sensory activity. She got to feel, see, and touch all the different materials, and even smell them too, since the moss that we used had a definite scent. Not only that, she learned new vocabulary words as she told me the names of everything she was touching. I just love sensory activities!
Here are some pictures of the materials we used. Not pictured in these pictures are the small plastic bowls we used to build the nests in, because Little C kept putting her head, and arms in the pictures where I added the bowls. Life with a curious toddler is always interesting!
A lot of the materials we used were found in the floral section of the Dollar Tree, and our local supermarket, as well as on Amazon. I’m sure you can find all of it at any craft store as well. Here is a list of the materials we used.
- Decorative Shred
- Brown yarn
- Spanish Moss
- Little Eggs (I bought mine for Easter, but you could easily make play doh eggs)
- Small Birds, the birds we used are similar to these birds. We got ours at the Dollar Tree, in the floral section.
- Large Shallow Storage Bin
- Small Plastic Bowls ( I found mine at the Dollar Tree, in the party supplies area)
- You could also use, grass, leaves, etc. Of course I should have used more nature materials, but I was thinking of Whatever you have on hand, I just happened to see all of these different materials while shopping, and thought about how fun they would be for building nests.
Pictures speak a thousand words, and I for one, prefer seeing things in action. Here are a few pictures of Little C building her nests, and using several of her five senses, (except taste of course, because that’s just gross.) She was so proud of her creations.
This is a definite must try activity. If your child loves everything nature like mine, they will definitely enjoy building nests. Do you have any nature activities that your little one enjoys? We would love to hear about your favorite nature activities!